African Braised Chicken Recipe
Every culture probably has their way of braising chicken and this is an adaptation of an African Braised Chicken recipe.
As you can see, a few different spices are used in this recipe, making it highly fragrant. Sautéing them for a minute really brings out the flavors.
Slow Cooker or Crockpot African Braised Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken, skinned and trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in the slow cooker pot or Dutch over over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add ginger through garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, broth and raisins. Stir well.
- Remove and place pot on slow cooker base or transfer to crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve this African Braised Chicken with couscous
and/or pita bread.