Beef Stew Recipe
This slow cooker or crockpot beef stew recipe has a tomato base and is not your average brown gravy stew. It is not difficult and the flavor is amazing.
Serve it with mashed potatoes and have some extra bread at hand to soak up all the flavors!
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 cups halved mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups diagonally cut carrot
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red wine)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Season beef with some salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in the slow cooker pot or a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add beef; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides.
- Remove from pan.
- Add mushrooms and next 4 ingredients (mushrooms through garlic) to pan
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return beef to pan.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in water and next 6 ingredients (water through bay leaves); bring to a boil.
- Cover and place slow cooker pot on the base.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Sprinkle with parsley.