This Garbanzo Stew is a delicately spiced Indian-style stew.
One of its ingredients is Garam Masala which is a mixture of ground spices such as cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, coriander, cumin, nutmeg and black peppercorns. You will find it in some grocery stores and in ethnic or gourmet grocery stores.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cups chopped seeded tomato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in the slow cooker pot or a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in tomato and next 7 ingredients (tomato through garam masala).
- Cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
- Stir in chopped cilantro.
- Serve with rice.