Spicy Red Bean Soup
Spicy Black and Red Bean Soup is a vegetarian soup recipe. While the recipe calls for sauteeing the onions and garlic first to bring out the flavors, this step is optional and you may combine everything in the pot instead.
Spicy Black-and-Red Bean Soup
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups sliced carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen white corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can red beans or kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeño peppers and spices, undrained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- Place a large Dutch oven or slow cooker pot coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover and transfer to slow cooker or crockpot base.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.