Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe
Sweet and Sour Pork is probably one of the most ordered dishes in Chinese restaurants. It is actually a very simple recipe and can be made easily.
This version is much healthier than the deep fried version often served in restaurants. You can also substitute with chicken if desired. Like most Chinese dishes, it is best served with white rice.
Sweet & Sour Pork Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loins, cut into cubes
- 8 ounces canned pineapple chunks in juice undrained (unsweetened juice)
- 1 medium red bell pepper or green bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine pork, pineapple, bell pepper, brown sugar, ginger, vinegar and soy sauce in the slow cooker or crockpot.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours
- About 5 minutes before serving, combine 3 tablespoons water and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Stir into pork mixture in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high setting for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve pork mixture over rice.