Slow Cooker Sweet Beef Stew Recipe
This Sweet Beef Stew provides a twist to the usual recipe. The recipe calls for Hoisin Sauce which is a thick, dark and slightly sweet Chinese sauce made out of soybeans, sugar and salt.
The recipe also calls for red wine. Use your favorite type such as Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, etc.
If you prefer not to use wine, I think you can substitute it with red grape or cranberry juice.
Crockpot or Slow Cooker Sweet Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1" cubes
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup drinking red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Season beef with some salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoons olive oil in slow cooker pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add meat to pot and brown on all sides.
- Add 1 tablespoons oil to pot.
- Add onions, carrots and garlic; sauté until golden brown.
- Add wine, tomatoes with juices, herbs, hoisin sauce and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover pot and place slow cooker pot over the base or transfer ingredients to the crockpot.
- Cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours or on High for 5 to 6 hours or until beef is tender.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Place pot back on stove over medium heat.
- Combine constarch with water.
- Add to pot.
- Stir until sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Serve with egg noodles or potatoes.