Here is an easy way to increase your fiber intake - vegetarian chilli! It's great during camping trips, football parties, school lunches, etc.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (16-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat the oil in the slow cooker pot or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell peppers, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add sugar and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.